Sunday Scriblings 10/27 Hospital

That word does not leave me feeling all warm and fuzzy inside...okay got it.
Many of my friends have recently been to the hospital for the one good reason. Going into labor. Going in pain and getting fixed up for any reason is always good, but the pain part sucks. Being given the option to have a baby in the end is wonderful. I have never seen women with so little makeup and so much sweat be so beautiful and glowing. Then of course there are the babies. The maternity ward is such a happy place. Babies have been on my mind quite a bit lately as I am approaching 30 (still young but getting to the age where I really want a child!). As of late I seem to have a talent with making children smile and taking wonderful pictures of them, even when the parents have had no luck. I imagine going to a mall or photo studio that is just a back drop with lots of equipment can be traumatizing as a child. I just keep my camera on sports mode for rapid shutter action and stay patient. Also doing hundreds of shots ensures a few good ones. Anyways, back to topic.
If there is a good then there must be a bad. Usually I consider that the emergency room waiting area. One of the two huge hospitals here is bad about making one wait hours and hours to be seen. Seeing people screaming in pain, usually when my wife or family member is also in pain and sitting with me, is a bit much. They seem to never have enough space. I remember thinking, it's 2AM, how bad could it be? BAD!
Because Morphine drips and pain killers have gotten so good these days, I don't even think of the process of dying naturally at a hospital or being in some pain because of a car accident etc... is so bad. Then again, I have never had any surgery in my life. I have broken my leg and neck in an accident, but they fixed themselves with the help of some therapy, immobilizers, and rest after a hospital visit I recall about as good as the car accident itself.
There has to be a middle ground because this can't be just good and bad. That is the psychiatric ward. Some people are getting better and some are getting worse. Some will get out in a week, and others will be shipped away to a state mental facility where they might be forgotten for months or even years. Although my first visit to one was recently, I imagine it won't be my last in my line of work. People may come in with a multitude of symptoms and end up with various diagnoses, but while in the hospital they exhibit either a slight quiet depression, or mania. It's like I am surrounded by the two sides of Bi-Polar disorder on medication. That isn't so bad at all. Enough!

No comments: