Two poems for Effie

Maybe I wrote them too fast, but I wanted you to have them now

Ten years or more
Since we last traded glances
And we may never
See face to face again
It’s just a casual hello
But it brings back the surge
Of emotions from back then
How great life was
When I had not a care in the world
I was not ashamed of my tears
And I fell in love with something new
Almost everyday
When handwritten letters
Were still how I communicated
Because I had no technology
No money for phones
Only energy for hugs
And car rides to visit
My friends now reappear
If I knew now
How it would have been so clear
To just say that I loved them then
And it would have made a difference
I would have
But my time is not up
And I still love them all
I am happy the way you are
Good or bad
And if I can ever be a friend again
I will be, better than the first time

This is just a memory, and they change when I don’t have the space in between, to fill in the blanks, but it’s for you.

Blonde Hair
Dark Eyes
Ready for work or play
A smile every day
And laughter that lit up the workspace
Where we built wheelchair ramps
Painted walls
Ate bag lunches
We made for one another
Played card games
Wrote little notes for the bags
Of all the new friends we met
In our week in the woods
Times like that
To look back on
Kept me sane
All these years
When nothing else could
Thanks for being all you were and are
My friend

2 comments:

Jane Doe said...

'How great life was
When I had not a care in the world
I was not ashamed of my tears
And I fell in love with something new
Almost everyday'

This entire piece is wonderful, but I particularly liked those lines. It brings to mind my childhood when there were no cares, no worries and everything was fresh and new.

All the best,

Jane

Clockworkchris said...

Thats just how I remember it,